The 2015 BPRs attempts to be comprehensive incorporating more than 200 recommendations about conducting a wine show and the document significantly expands the topics covered in the previous 2004 BPRs. Some recommendations seem minor, such as acceptable range of room temperature during judging, which glassware to use, tasting bench heights, remuneration of judges and stewards, the number of judges on tasting panels etc. However, the Technical Advisory Group (TAG) was clear that these recommendations should be recorded. Other recommendations record evolution in practice and thinking over the last 10 years – mix of judges, term of appointment of judges, selection process for judges, use of specialist judges, entries by brand and blend, relaxation on the number of entries per class, appointment and remuneration of auditors etc. While some other recommendations reflect more contemporary debate which will continue to evolve in time.
The 2015 ASVO Best Practice Recommendations (BPRs) available here
Purchase a hard copy of the ASVO Best Practice Recommendations here
The ASVO Best Practice Recommendations were drafted by Dr Tony Jordan and Dr Tony Robinson with input from the the Technical Advisory Group (TAG), wine shows and wine industry and edited by Dr Tony Jordan, Dr Tony Robinson and Nick Bulleid.
The ASVO thanks everyone involved for their time and commitment in preparing this valuable guide.
2015 Wine Show Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
- Chair Dr Tony Jordan (Oenotec Pty Ltd.)
- Secretary Dr Tony Robinson (TWE)
- Susanne Bell (Bellwether Wine)
- Kim Bickley (Fine Wine Partners)
- Nick Bulleid (Consultant)
- Tom Carson (Yabby Lake)
- PJ Charteris (Charteris Wines)
- Jim Chatto (McWilliams Wines Pty Ltd)
- Samantha Connew (Stargazer Wine)
- Chris Crawford (Crown Melbourne Limited)
- Jeremy Dineen (Josef Chromy Wines)
- Andrew Hardy (Lion Nathan / Petaluma)
- Tyson Stelzer (Wine Writer)
- Edward Tomlinson (Lenton Brae)
- Courtney Treacher (Accolade / Houghton Wines)
For more information on the wine show project or the ASVO contact:
Australian Society of Viticulture and Oenology
Postal Address: GPO Box 582 Adelaide SA 5001